Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Fall Is In The Air

The first day of school just seems to launch the fall season for me -- the air has that magical, fall-ish sensation to it. I love the brisk mornings and the cool, dark evenings. It makes it cozy in the house. Today was downright fall-ish. At 11 am, the temperature was 65 and cloudy. Walking to my car at 4:30 pm, the temp was 66. Wasn't just a couple of weeks ago it was in the 100s? Yes, the beginning of school is a magical event.

Speaking of the first day of school, Brandon enjoyed his first day yesterday. He did have homework, which he completed without complaining. Today, he told me that one of the 4th grade teachers dressed up like Christopher Columbus and spoke to the class, although he didn't speak English very well. I thought that was pretty cool. I hardly even remember 4th grade, and I'm not quite sure who my teacher was. I remember all the names of the teachers I had in elementary school, but I'm not sure which grade they taught.

On the way home tonight, Matthew insisted that I NOT cook dinner. I know, I know, it sounds crazy, but HE wanted to cook dinner. I made the mistake of saying something like, "OK, what do you want me to cook for your dinner," which really upset him and he said in a very small voice, "No, I cook dinner."

So, of course, I let him. Well, not exactly, but Chris and I "assisted" and let Matthew pick the menu. He wanted chicken nuggets, beans and rice. Wow! I expected him to choose something like Oreos, peanut butter or potato chips, but the kid actually put together a meat, veggie and a starch.

So we let him pick: saffron rice or white rice, frozen beans or canned beans. We had chicken nuggets, saffron rice and canned beans. He got to season everything and we operated the kitchen appliances. (I believe operation of a gas range is a little beyond a three year old's range of activities-he-ought-to-be-doing. But I totally let him push the buttons on the microwave since he demonstrated his microwaving capabilities by nuking a roll of paper towels a few months ago.)

Anyway, dinner was nice and I may let Matthew plan more meals in the future. Of course, this may backfire on me and he will request Oreos, Coca-Cola and syrup. Or hot dogs, waffles and gummy snacks. Or . . . carrots, Nutella and dry pasta . . . you get the picture.

2 comments:

RogueHistorian said...

One of the best things you can do for your children is to teach them how to cook. I know so many people who never learned and now survive on fast food, Chinese take-out, and things which have to be run through the microwave.

There's also the benefit of using your children to cook dinner for you when they're a little older. My brother and I would usually take 2-4 meals a week between us and have dinner ready for our folks when they walked in after work.

Anonymous said...

Like Mom, like son! I think I remember you cooking at a very early age.

Your Mom