Thursday, February 23, 2006

Max & Erma's

Today we took a new associate out for an introductory lunch at Max & Erma's. The service is terribly slow and the food is typical, but they have ample seating for a large group and the YUMMIEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES EVER.

When Chris found out I was going to Max & Erma's, he requested some of the cookies. See, they bring them out to you after your dinner, straight from the oven, with all the melty goodness oozing everywhere. I ordered half a dozen, to go, and had to carry the warm box all the way back to my office, about six blocks away.

I didn't think I was going to make it. The smell alone was overpowering, not to mention the heat differential between the cool air off the Mississippi River and the warm box in my greedy little hands. I was afraid I would need extra sugar to fuel my walk back to the office and to sustain me through the afternoon deposition I had in front of me. However, my fear of being attacked by hungry co-workers kept me from diving into the box and eating every last gooey morsel.

I made it back to the office and to my deposition without breaking the seal on the box. I even made it home without devouring cookies while stuck in the creeping traffic. When we got home, Matthew saw the box and yelled, "Cookie!!" Thus setting off a spectacular sequence of simultaneous fit throwing and running away from Mama, who was trying to catch and calm him. Needless to say, he did not score a cookie yet. I am not about to give him a great big chocolate chip cookie before bed.

However, I will now be enjoying the great big chocolate chip cookie and a glass of milk before bed. Sometimes it's good to be the parent.

No comments: