Saturday, October 29, 2005

Hinkle, Hinkle Whittle Tar

Matthew started singing last week. Last Saturday, to be exact. Chris was out of town, and of course, Matthew was up at the crack of dawn. Deluding myself for the hundredth time, I thought I would let Matthew lay down with me and he'd go back to sleep. (When will I learn that this will NOT happen? At six o'clock in the morning on a Saturday, I remain hopeful.)

He did lay down with me. For about a minute. Then he was jabbering, asking to go downstairs, wanting to watch "Shrek" yet again. I said, "Please, Matthew. Mama is so tired and she just wants to rest a little bit." And he was still.

A few minutes later, he started jabbering softly to himself. It took me a few seconds before I realized that he was jabbering to the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star."

He didn't have all the words, but it was definitely the tune. "Hinkle, hinkle whittle tar . . ." It was adorable.

No comments: