Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Change of Status: Stay at Home Mom

Well, Internet, I haven't been exactly forthcoming with you. A few weeks ago, my job came to an abrupt end due to a conflict of ethical proportions, so I have been at home, searching the Internet for jobs, sending out resumes, eating Reese's Cups and consuming 6 - 7 Dr. Peppers a day. (Well, not quite that many Dr. Peppers.) I won't go into the details but suffice it to say, I'm a little bit wiser now and not worried about losing my bar license everyday, which is a great relief!

I was a little hesitant at first to share this with you but it became an obstacle to my blogging otherwise. And blogging is good for me; a creative outlet if you will. I was hesitant because I was going through all the crazy emotion of experiencing something totally unexpected and career-changing: shock, bitterness, regret, embarrassment, anger. So I didn't want to write something I would later regret. (Like my hopes that the firm would go belly up in a terribly public display of mismanagement. . . that's just a little bitter, isn't it? Obviously, I've worked through all of that.) But I've also experienced relief - "they" say hindsight is 20/20 and in hindsight, I should have been out of there long ago.

I've got some resumes out, so hopefully something will transpire soon. Chris has been totally supportive and encouraging and so have my family and friends/ex-co-workers. They have been forwarding information about who's hiring, which firms to avoid, etc. I am very fortunate to have supportive friends and family!

So I'm home for the time being. We took Matthew out of daycare this week. He doesn't quite understand why he's not at daycare, but he's enjoying being home. He does miss his friends at daycare, though. He did not want to change out of his pajamas today, and if you know Matthew, you know that he's very headstrong about his choice of clothing. It was about 3 pm before I realized that he was "going commando" (no underwear) under his pajamas. Oh well. No big deal, I guess.

On the plus side, I've been able to tackle some long-neglected home projects. Today, I painted the kitchen and it looks gooooooood! I painted it a sage green and the cabinets look so bright against the dusty green color.

Matthew and I will be able to spend some quality time together, watching Backyardigans and Dora and Cars . . . over and over and over . . . Brandon thinks it's totally unfair that Matthew doesn't have to go to school yet, but I keep assuring him that Matthew will spend just as much time in school as Brandon will. This does not comfort him at all, however.

So maybe there'll be more blogging; probably some more complaining; definitely more Dr. Peppers consumed. I'll keep you posted on the job search but I tend to get kind of superstitious about discussing that - I don't want to get my hopes up and so I resort to my traditional way of handling stress - hiding from it. I'm having to make myself be a stalker proactive and stalk contact people about jobs. It's amazing how much information you can find on the Internet!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason, and obviously you were meant to have a much happier job. I'm sure you are - but you can enjoy the time home! Yes, it does get a little old after a while. Oh, yeah, keep eating the Reeses! They make EVERYTHING better!
You should post some pics of the kitchen!

missy said...

We miss you SO SO much! But you are SO SO better off - things are sinking quickly there. Enjoy the time with your family - before you know it you'll be back to the grindstone. :)