Monday, February 20, 2006

I Leave For Half A Day . . .

Happy President's Day! I had to work today, so I left the boys sleeping soundly in their beds and went into work early. (However, I did take off work early in order to take Brandon to the dentist for a filling.) It was a peaceful commute and even more peaceful at the office, since several people also took vacation days today.

I came home, took Brandon to the dentist and upon my return, found Chris and Matthew sitting side by side on the couch. Matthew was wearing a Cardinals baseball cap. I knew something was up the moment I stepped in the door.

Matthew jumped up on the couch and threw his hat on the floor, revealing a very short new haircut. Daddy had cut Matthew's hair while I was at the dentist with Brandon. Daddy and Matthew were very excited about this, so I pretended to be excited, too. We've cut Matthew's hair before, but this time, it was very short. No more curls. Anywhere.

To be honest, I shed a couple of tears about my "baby" being a "big boy" now. I was just commenting earlier how big he looked in his dark-wash denim jeans. Now he has a big boy hair cut to go along with his big boy jeans. This week Matthew moves up another level at daycare. "He's ready," says his teacher. I'm sure he is, but I don't think I'm ready for it yet.

It's not that I want to have him be a baby or even that I miss having a baby around the house. Lord knows, I've looked at parents with newborns and thought to myself, "Thank God we're through that!" I guess I'm just getting sentimental. I'm glad he's maturing and I'm actually looking forward to the future. After all, one day the kids will be gone and we'll actually be able to do stuff we want to do.

Here's the big boy himself . . . sorry the picture's blurry -- I couldn't get him to hold still long enough to get a good picture of the hair (or lack thereof) . . .

No comments: