Thursday, February 16, 2006

Gary England Would Be Proud!

Today, I looked out of my 10th story office window, and what did I see? Some slight cloud rotation in a very dark cloud! Then I heard tornado sirens. And did I run to the basement like I should have? No -- I stood at the window and watched the storm front blow in. Then I gave my co-workers a lesson in spotting rotation in a wall cloud. Gary England would be soooooooo proud of me! OK, probably not; he'd probably say I should have taken cover in a bathtub with a bicycle helmet on my head for protection.

Anyway, the weather changed DRASTICALLY today from mild, spring-like weather to frigid, bone-achingly cold weather. The temperature at 3:15 this afternoon was 68 balmy degrees. At 4:10 it was 48. Dude, that's a twenty degree drop in less than an hour! Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 32.

The mild weather has been so nice; I was actually thinking baseball and hot dogs and grilling and walking in the park. I guess it was a little premature. I'm going to have to hold off on breaking out the shorts and sandals a few more weeks. Hurry, spring!



Gary England wants you to be safe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are few things I truly miss about Oklahoma. One of them is friends. 10+ years of friendships is not easily replaced. However, what I think I really miss most acutely is, when severe weather strikes (every third day in OK), turning on the TV, going to channel 9, and waiting for Gary England. Gary is always there. It's spooky; almost like he sleeps in the weather center, or is chained to his desk like a rabid dog. Gary's calm Oklahoma drawl just creates a sense of peace, even if the category 5 tornado is pulling your house apart that very minute. I'd like to think that, if and when I die in a storm, the final thing I want to hear is Gary England saying "Whoa, Mabel, hang on to your stockings!" At least I can go out with a smile on my face. I'm sure the St. Louis meteorlolgists are well-trained, experienced weatherpersons. But I can guarantee you they've never described a severe thunderstorm as a "frog-strangler" on air. And Gary talks to the kids. The children who are at home alone. I can just see scores of Oklahoma parents drilling their kids on what to do when the tornado sirens go off: "get a blanket, grab the phone, get your tornado-rated bike helmet, get into the bathtub, but...before you do any of that, turn the TV to channel 9 and listen to Gary England." Gary, I miss you. You're the greatest. The world needs you.