Sunday, February 12, 2006

Friendship Soup for One, Harry Potter for All

Today was a rather cold, dreary day here in STL. Typically on Sundays, we get up and go to church. Today, as I was preparing breakfast, Brandon came downstairs and with tears in his eyes, told me he felt bad. I medicated him up and broke the news to Chris. It was also snowing, so we decided to all stay home this morning.

The problem was keeping Matthew constantly entertained. I popped in the first Harry Potter DVD and we had a Harry Potter marathon. Matthew loves Harry Potter. Just like his Mama.

Brandon improved enough to look at me about 4 pm and state, "Why didn't we go to church today?" I'm beginning to question the teary-eye thing. He's awfully convincing, though. I probably started it all, because when he was about 18 months old, we'd make faces in the bathroom mirror after his bath. "Show me happy. Show me sad. Show me surprised!" And he'd comply with the cutest faces. He had a wide range of emotions down, even as a toddler.

As the day went on, we watched all three Harry Potter movies, got the books out and theorized about the events of the final and seventh book.

And to top it all off, I made a big pot of Friendship Soup. (It's a soup mix you make yourself and give to friends at Christmas time. I made one jar, but didn't want to give it to anyone until I tried it out. I like to taste test first.) It was extremely yummy and made a huge pot. Chris walked in the kitchen just before dinner was ready and said, "Oh. Friendship Soup for one. That's something you can blog about."

As you may already know, Chris doesn't share the same appreciation of soup that I do. If you are unaware of this, you can read about it here. However, Chris did admit that for soup, it was pretty good. Matthew took a few bites and told me to feed it to Moose. Brandon complained that it felt like it was causing his throat to close up. I informed him that the bowl of soup would be all he'd be eating tonight and he finished most of it. Fortunately, he survived and his throat is just fine.

After dinner, it seemed that the boys got more and more active, having been stuck inside all day. At one point, Brandon was dragging Matthew through the living room on a blanket, dragging him into the kitchen on the wood floor and spinning him around. Of course, that only escalated the insanity in the house as Matthew shrieked with excitement every time. We quickly sent them to bed in an effort to protect our own fragile mental states.

No comments: