Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Weather Alert

One noticable difference between St. Louis and Oklahoma is the lack of excitement about the weather forecast. We're expecting 2 - 4" of snow overnight, and if you were in Oklahoma, that would be the major story at the beginning of the news forecast. And the middle. And during the traditional "weather segment." And a recap at the end. For all the newscasts -- the 5:00, 6:00 and 10:00. And special updates during the entire prime time broadcast. And with a nifty little map in the corner of the television screen, depicting the forthcoming storm.

See, in Oklahoma, weather is an event. The meterologists are stars. Everyone knows who Gary England is, and if he attaches his name to something, it's golden. Gary broadcasts through winter ice storms, snow, thunderstorms, tornadoes . . . he's there, with his trusty sidekick and storm spotter, Val. If there's severe weather, they pre-empt the television shows and put Gary on. Nonstop.

Here in St. Louis, people are more laid back about the weather. Snow? Cold? Yeah, it happens. Nothing to get excited about. No special weather forecast. No main story on the news station webpages, even. Not even talk about school closings. Obviously, 2 - 4" of snow is no biggie here.

Of course snow is a big deal to me. (I grew up in the deep south, so we didn't see much snow. And if it did snow, the world came to a screeching halt and no one went anywhere.) I'm wondering about going to work tomorrow, should I send the kids to school, are we going to lose power and will I have to cook on the gas logs? I DON'T KNOW! I DON'T FEEL PREPARED!! Gary England is not telling me what's going to happen. I can't get any answers from these people!!! They don't seem to care that the world will be icy and cold tomorrow morning. St. Louis: I need more weather information!

No comments: